A traditional Greek dish, one of my kids favourite.
2 cloves of garlic
Olive oil- as much as you need, I usually add A LOT
1 kilo minced meat
1/2 cup of any short grain glutinous rice
Fresh or dried oregano & thyme
2 grated carrots
For the Avgolemono sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
- Cut off the zucchini ends and scoop out the flesh.
- Dice the onion and garlic and grate the carrots.
- Saute the onions and garlic and then add the minced meat. Make sure you are breaking down the meat to avoid any lumps.
- Add a cup of water and let it simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes
- Add oregano, thyme, salt and pepper and the rice. Add some more water if needed and let it simmer a little more, about 15 minutes.
- When ready, remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill the zucchini using a spoon
- Add a cup of water in your pot, some more olive oil and let it simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Prepare the avgolemono sauce
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites. Beat the egg whites till nice and fluffy
- Add the egg yolks and beat a little more
- Add the lemon juice and continue beating
- Add some of the hot sauce from the pot in the eggs-lemon batter while whisking continuously. This will temper the eggs.
- Remove the zucchini caps and spread the sauce over the stuffed zucchini.
- Put the caps back on and serve
You can see all my favourite kitchen tools in my Amazon storefront