Making your own tomato paste is so easy, you will never buy another one. Promise.
5 kg very ripe tomatoes
2 tbsp sea salt
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and get through a food processor or a blender- with skin and seeds. You can remove them if you want, but I don't
- Put the tomato puree in a large pot, add the salt and boil on medium heat for several hours.
- As the puree thickens, turn the heat to low and stir constantly
- Sterilize the mason jars in the microwave for 20 seconds
- While the tomato paste is still hot, transfer it to the hot jars and fill up to the top, tamping it down with a spoon so that there are no air pockets.
- Add some olive oil on top, screw the lid on the jar, and flip.
- Let it sit flipped overnight so that there is no air left inside the jar.
- Keep the jars in a cool place. The paste will keep up to one year.
You can see all my favourite kitchen tools in my Amazon storefront