Makes 2 loaves
For the starter (the night before)
100 gr AP flour100 gr water1 gr dry yeast
Mix everything together and cover till needed.
For the brioche
500 gr AP flour12 gr sea salt60 gr sugar5 gr dry yeast5 large eggs120 gr milkthe starter225 gr butter soft at room temperature
For the egg wash
1 large egg
1tsp heavy cream
- In a bowl of a mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix flour, salt, sugar, yeast, eggs, milk and the starter and mix till everything is combined.
- Let it rest for half an hour minimum to 1 hour. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
- Once the dough is rested, start beating on medium speed, adding the butter slowly.
- Continue beating on high speed until all the dough is completely wrapped around the hook. This means that gluten has fully developed.
- Transfer the dough to a container and let rise in a cool place for about 3-4 hours. It should be double or even triple in size.
- Flour a dry surface and transfer the dough. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and lt it rest for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to the loaf pans and let them rise for about 2 hours- till double in size.
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Prepare the egg wash and brush over the loaves surface.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes approximately.
You can see all my favourite kitchen tools in my Amazon storefront