Yields one 28cm pie
For the flaky tart dough
1 tsp salt
150 water, very cold
455 gr AP flour
300 gr butter
- Add the salt to the water and keep it very cold.
- In a food processor, put the flour in the bowl with the butter cut in cubes. Pulse briefly until the mixture forms large crumbs.
- Add the water-salt mixture and pulse until the dough begins to come together to a ball. You should b able to see some butter chunks.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for about 2 hours.
For the crumble topping
100 gr AP flour
40 gr walnuts, finely chopped
75 gr sugar
20 gr oats
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
100 gr butter, cold
- Combine flour, walnuts, sugar, oats, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Cut the butter in small cubes and add to the dry ingredients.
- Using your fingers, combine the butter with the dry ingredients until all butter is dispersed.
- Chill till needed.
For the filling
4 large apples
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
Lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp butter
Apple sauce ( Blend 2 apples with vanilla extract, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice in a food processor)
- In a bowl, place the apples cut in slices.
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well with a spoon.
- Add the flour mixture to the apples and toss together.
- Cut the butter and the apple sauce in small cubes and mix well.
Assemble and bake the pie
- Remove the dough from the frIdge. Roll out on a floured surface and place in the 28cm pie shell.
- Fill in the apple mixture.
- Distribute the crumble topping over the apple mixture.
- Refrigerate the pie for 15 minutes.
- Bake the pie for 1hr and 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 180C.
*Recipe adapted from the Tartine Cookbook
You can see all my favourite kitchen tools in my Amazon storefront